Leticia Garcia is the proud mom of 10-year old twin girls, an advocate for public education, and an active member in her community running for school board.
She grew up in Santa Ana, CA and is the daughter of a construction worker, and a farmworker. The eldest of eight children, Leticia was the first in her family to attend college and earn a Master’s Degree. Her parents instilled in her the importance of education and giving back to her community.
Leticia’s desire to help improve people’s lives and communities led her to a career in public policy — focusing on public education. Education stopped generational poverty in her family. Today, she sees her daughters thriving in school and wants to make sure that all Sacramento kids have the same chances in life.
Leticia is involved in her daughters’ school by volunteering on field trips, schools events, and serving on the School Site Council. As an advocate for public education, she works to make sure the state funds are available for schools, and that education policies lead to student success. As a community member, she has served on several boards and commissions focused on education, public health, and suicide prevention.
Leticia attended Santa Ana Community College, earned a B.A. in Psychology and Sociology from UC Davis and an M.A. in International Relations from CSU Sacramento.
She lives in Sacramento with her husband Kevin and her daughters Victoria and Barbara. In her spare time, she enjoys reading, running, dancing, and spending quality time with family and friends.
Community and Volunteer Experience:
- Advisory Board Member, SCUSD Local Control Accountability Plan
- Parent Member, Phoebe Hearst Elementary School Site Council
- Appointee, SCUSD (7-11) School Reuse and Repurposing Committee
- Co-Organizer, Elmhurst Parents Group
- Board Member, Tahoe Park Neighborhood Association
- Team Parent, Jr. Giants Youth Baseball
- Team Parent, East Sac Little League Softball
- Co Troop-Leader, Girl Scouts Troop #1691
- Co-Founder and Treasurer, Leon A. McCarty Youth Sports Foundation
- Appointee, Sacramento County Office of Education School Financing Corporation
- Appointee, Sacramento County Public Health Advisory Committee
- Member, California Suicide Prevention Council